[IP] RE: I'm not going to waste energy on hating Diabetes.

Maybe people are getting tired of this subject, but it seems to be that the
only consensus is that there is no agreement on the subject.  To each his or
her own.

For me, after almost 27 years (and 27 years of hearing how close a cure is), I
don't waste much time listening to other people (including people in the
medical profession) who have no first-hand experience of what its like to live
with this condition 24/7/365.  To me, that is a waste of energy.

But I will dammed if I "accept" it, nor will I accept being called "diabetic"
-- naming me after a medical condition -- which is akin to calling someone
with cancer a "cancerian".  (I still can't understand why anyone tolerates
that, I usually try to correct people who make the mistake of referring to me
by a medical condition that I had no way of preventing.)

I feel that acceptance fosters the attitude that this is a perfectly
acceptable condition and its OK to have to live with it, even though it could
destroy us if we choose to ignore it.  We can and must do better than that.
Acceptance of diabete is why significantly more money has been spent on
finding cures for diseases like breast cancer and AIDS rather than on DM, even
though these conditions impact far fewer people, cost the country far less,
and we now know how to prevent at least one of them from occurring in the
first place (which cannot be said for Type 1 diabetes).

Don't get me wrong, I do what I can with the extremely crude tools that are
currently available for managing this condition, but I'm sorry, there is
absolutely no way I will accept it, any doctor or CDE who tries to tell me to
do otherwise will be told to keep their personal opinions to themselves.  I
prefer to use my energy to raise funds or act as an advocate for JDRF, rather
than welcome this with open arms into my life.  I had the opportunity to meet
one of the founders of JDRF (which has grown to become the largest source of
funds for any type of medical research after the NIH) 2 weeks ago, and her
attitude was that as long as someone out there must live with this condition,
there is still a lot of work that has to be done.

Just my 2 cents.

Dx'd T1 9/1976 at age 7 (now age 34), pumping w/ Animas R1000 since 6/2002