Re: [IP] Re: IP Stigmatizing

At 06:27 AM 4/10/03 -0700, you wrote:
 > Also, I feel some amount of resentment that there seems to be this idea that
 >you cannot have a healthy pregnancy if you are not on the pump and if you are
 >thinking about getting pregnant and not going on the pump for the pregnancy
 >then you are bad, hurting your baby, etc.

Hi Kristen,

I just wanted to let you know that I had a very successful pregnancy on
MDI.  My daughter was born full-term vaginal delivery, was healthy at birth
and has been ever since.  My secret was that I completely stopped using NPH
during the pregnancy.  I had to take a lot of shots to keep things even,
but my control was the best I had ever seen up until that point.

That said, I was finally convinced to use the pump because of the trouble I
had while breastfeeding.  Each time you feed the baby you use up a
completely unknown number of calories.  This can play havoc with your blood
sugars.  When I described it to our pediatrician he said, "Oh, so it's like
your body goes out and plays basketball without telling you about it."

The pump made it much easier to deal with this.

You can have a healthy pregnancy without the pump.  It takes work, but it
takes work with the pump as well.  Don't worry about that.  If and when you
are ready to try the pump you can try it <or not>.  If you don't like it
you can leave it.

We are here to support you whichever way you decide to go.