Re:[IP] itchy, irritated sites -- Allergist visit

On Thursday, April 10, 2003, email @ redacted wrote:

> I have an allergy to the preservatives in insulin so pumping either
> humalog or Novalog is out of the question. It is the amount of insulin
> that goes into one site that creates a reaction for me. I need about
> 120
> units a day so to lessen the reaction and to keep a site from burning
> the minute I change sites I use Humalin Regular in a U500.

Interesting.  I have had a couple other people tell me that they had to
limit the amount of insulin per site.  While I have had more problems
with sites where I was giving really big boluses, I don't THINK I am
going to be able to solve anything this way, since I reacted to a site
with basal insulin only, using injections for boluses.  I don't have a
high TDD (used to average in low 20s), although it has been much higher
lately, which could be another indication of a reaction to insulin.
And my bg has seemed to be getting progressively lower ever since I
took the antihistamines.

Linda Z