[IP] Re: Hating Diabetes

Venting one's anger about chronic physiological affliction (in this case,
insulin dependent diabetes--an illness with pervasive effects that impacts no
two people in exactly the same way) is different from being frustrated about
curly hair. Being able to consciously say/scream/journal, "I hate diabetes"
at times can be a very useful coping tool. Doing this, at least for me, has
been healthier than remaining in denial.

Perhaps, in acquiring this disease as an adult, I am more aware of what I
have recently lost, as well as what I am now gaining, due to living with Type
1 diabetes. One thing I know for sure: I'm not a wimp just because I
sometimes say with tears in my eyes, "I hate diabetes." This seems to me a
courageous response in the face of fully grieving one's losses.

While I remain continually thankful for the varied gifts this particular
affliction brings, my gratitude does not preclude my God-given ability to
creatively express my feelings rather than bury them alive. For a wonderful
illustration of our Maker's loving approval of such "self-pitying" behavior,
please see the Psalms.