[IP] Fear of Insertion/Hating Diabetes

I joined the list in December seeking a way to help my son Benjamin (now 15)
handle his overwhelming anxiety and stress about changing his site.  He will
have had diabetes for five years this May 30th (we parents never forget dates)
and has been pumping for three years.  For most of those three years, he has
had that stress, so much so that since Labor Day 2002 my husband or I had been
changing his site for him.  It got so awful he abandoned the pump in late
February for Lantus and humalog pens.  Lantus doesn't work for a teen who
needs more insulin in the middle of the night.  His bs were awful and he was
unhappy with the MDI life.  We tried therapy on and off for those three years
but, as a teen (and his father's child), he was not particularly receptive.

But GOOD NEWS!  We are very involved with the ADA and I was helping set up for
the NJ ADA's Diabetes Expo.  I became friendly with the Disetronic rep -
Christine O'Rourke.  She's a ball of fire, very pregnant and I am
extraordinarily grateful to her.  Benj uses a MM 508 with a soft serter.  He
couldn't push the button. She suggested he try the Disetronic infusion set -
no inserter, you just push it in and it works with the 508.  Last week,
Christine came to our home to explain the Disetronic infusion set and where on
his butt to place it - he's also phobic now about putting it in his abdomen.
It was a breeze.  He says it's just like using a needle.  If we'd only known,
we'd have saved quite a lot on therapy bills and enormous emotional wear and
tear.  So, thank you Christine (it was bashert - Yiddish for "meant to be" -
that we met) and we should all realize that sometimes the answer to our
problems come from unexpected places.

Of course, I hate diabetes - it's not a gift however strong it makes my son.
But like Marisa said, you deal with it.  A perfect diabetic is not someone
with a 5.5 A1c and 110 all the time.  It is a person willing to always work to
make him or herself feel better and more under control.  "Under control" is,
like perfection, unattainable but we always have to strive towards that.  It's
exhausting and there's never a break (unlike cancer, for example).  I admire
all of you for working so hard at making your lives with diabetes better and
seeking to help others with it as well.

Nilene R. Evans
Morrison & Foerster LLP
Tel:  212-468-8088
Fax: 212-468-7900

you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information
contained in the message.  If you have received the message in error, please
advise the sender by reply e-mail @mofo.com, and delete the message.
Thank you very much.