Re: [IP] Hating Diabetes

Someone's mother said:

>those nagging fears that too often influence our
>children's "comfort zones" in social situations,
>those "what will I do if" questions that accompany
>sleep-overs, school trips, visits to "new friends"

I respond:

Personally - I NEVER had any of those "nagging fears"
that you refer to.  My parents never ever made
diabetes out to be something horrible or that I was
suffering because of it.  It was simply the way it
was.  Still is.

I have never had the fear factor.  I applied to the
Peace Corps as a senior in college (that would be the
early 80s for the math challenged) and spent one hour
trying to convince the recruiter (who said I had the
best application he'd ever seen) to relax the
government's rules to allow diabetics entry into their
overseas programs.  Didn't work, but I gave it my best
shot.  That's only the 2nd thing in my life I couldn't
do because of diabetes.  The 1st is to climb Mt.
Everest but my insulin would freeze.  Implantable
pumps won't work at that altitude.  Bummer.  Guess
I'll have to settle on Katmandu.

I just packed up the syringes and bottles of insulin
and hopped in the planes, trains, and automobiles that
took me whereever I wanted to go.  I am still living
while traveling - why am I confined to the comfort of
my own home when I could be doing it in Chiusi Italy
or at the bottom of the Grand Canyon or atop the
Eiffel Tower or on the train from Grand Central to New
Haven or on safari in the RSA.  Having a pump
certainly has made it easier - but I managed to do it
all those years as a teenager BEFORE I had a pump -
and usually ALONE.

What is my fear?  That there isn't enough time in the
day to do EVERYTHING that I want to do.  Maybe
diabetes made me this way, who knows, and more
importantly WHO CARES?

Diabetes is secondary to the choices I make in my
life.  We all have choices.  Of course, EMWV or not.

-gail in denver

Do you Yahoo!?