Re: [IP] Site Prep

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 14:39:44 -0700, "Lee Turner" <email @ redacted>
 > I would like to get some comments from the more experienced pumpers out
 > there (particularly the men) on how you prep your sites.

  >  How many of you use a film dressing such as IV3000
  >  What do you use for an antiseptic?
  >  For the men out there what about the hair, do you shave your sites?
  >  Is that hard to get sets to stick?

I use IV3000, but it's the last thing I use. I use it to cover the
infusion set (bent needle).

I use I.V. Prep, primarily because it makes things sticky, but also for
an antiseptic.

I used to shave the whole area with a safety razor, every month or so. I
found I could accomplish the same thing with an electric shaver. The
short hair isn't much of a problem when removing the IV3000 and the two
strips of 3/4 inch Nexcare Flexible Clear First Aid Tape that I apply
directly over the infusion set.

I don't have any problem getting my sites to stay in place. The bent
needle set that I use (MiniMed MMT-165) doesn't have any adhesive of its
own. Two strips of Nexcare and the IV3000 do it for me. Oh yes, after I
apply the IV3000 I use the I.V.Prep pad to wipe over the edges of the
IV3000. That seems to help keep the edges from starting to peel up.

But this is a subject where experiences seem to vary greatly. Body
chemistry varies a lot from person to person. This is where we (IP
members) say YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000