Re: [IP] glucowatch . . . anyone using one?

Yes, I have been using a Glucowatch since 10/29/02. Here's what I've learned
so far:

The biggest drawbacks I've experienced using the Glucowatch I recently posted
on IP: *high cost*, including the initial purchase price and the $7.50 per 12
hr recording pad you must pay afterward; an *eczema-like rash* at the watch
site after monitoring that itches like crazy and lasts for weeks; *irritating
discomfort* every ten minutes during readings; numerous *skipped readings*,
especially if you're active during the monitoring period; *long warm-up
period*--2+ hr--prior to active monitoring that automatically precludes
quick, PRN use; and, last but not least, it's a *bulky* device that does not
fit neatly and easily under various clothing.

The two primary advantages of the watch for me are:

1.) **Backup monitoring with programmable warning alarm** that has been nice
to have on board when I'm sick, traveling alone or flying by private plane
with volatile BGLs, or when I'm in a remote location not easily accessed by
2.) **Computerized, detailed printouts (provided by the Glucowatch
software--available as an optional purchase) covering what my BGLs do every
ten minutes (minus skipped readings)** over a given period of time. This has
provided valuable information to glean insights from after meals (how fat,
carbs, boluses, and corrections affect BGLs), during the night (as a means of
tracking the Dawn Phenomenon and Hypo states), at various times in the
menstrual cycle (for me, preovulation and PMS phases show significant BGL
rise/blood sugar resistance, followed by drastic reductions with onset of
menses), and before/during/after exercise for helping with basal adjustments.

I eagerly look forward to future improvements in continuous BGL monitoring on
our way toward a cure for IDDM. Though we aren't quite there yet, the
advantages of the Glucowatch make it worth looking into. In particular, I
think it's quite useful for anyone who experiences wild BGL swings and
patterns with perplexing variations in insulin effects (sound familiar,
anyone?). After experiencing an early morning low of 27 last Easter morning,
I sometimes prefer using a backup in certain situations. :-)

Blessings to you,
dx'd with Type 1 in 2/02 at age 49 (!), Paradigm pumping since 10/02