Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 11:53:08 -0600
From: "Barbara Ziegler" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] ongoing site problems

I have been having great difficulties with my sites, and
am looking for ideas.
I use a MM 507C, sillouettes, and an inserter. I have been
pumping for 10
years, and using sils for about 3 years. Part of the
problem is scar
tissue--I can no longer use my lower abdomen. I am slim,
and short, so other
areas are limited. I'm using my flank mostly, and some
tries at upper abdomen
(this is a problem because of little fat, though.)

I have been having bad sites, and don't know what the
problem is. Yesterday I
changed 4 times (#5 is in today) because of very high BG
and ketones. The
cannulas were not kinked or bent, but there was a small
amount of blood on 2
of them. These weren't in scar tissue areas, so absorption
should have been
good. The angle of insertion may be a problem, but I'm an
experienced user,
and am not really doing anything different. I also have
had times when the
site is fine for 24 hours or so, and then apparently
something changes because
my BG's go up to the 300-400s plus ketones.

Can anybody help? I have talked to my physician's office,
and MM, but no
genuine help. The pump is OK, the insulin is OK, and I
haven't been ill.
Plus this is a sporadic problem over many months. I'm very
frustrated because
I can't figure it out. Changing out sites this many times
costs a lot in time
and money, plus the high blood sugar problems certainly
concern me.
Barbara Ziegler