Re: [IP] Advice on wearing a pump & working construction

> Hello,
> I am currently a pump wearer and my neighbor has a son who is very
> interested in using a pump. He has been a diabetic since age 9.
> However he has numerous questions about his occupation as a
> construction worker and the use of a pump.  Can anyone offer him
> some advice? Is it unrealistic for him to consider using a pump?
> Thanks for your help.
> Cathy

Well.....   IP would not even be here if it were not for a
construction worker that introduced me to the pump way back in 1994.
This was just month after Lily's diagnosis and we were camping in the
Sierras. The turns out the gentleman in the next campground was a
type 1 and had a pump. My first question was "what's a pump?". He had
had numerous lows on the job and fell from a roof one day while
working. He had been resisting the suggestion by his endo to go on
the pump and that fall was the final straw that literally "pushed him
over the edge". He said that the pump had improved thing for him a
lot.  --- I don't know the man's name, but I owe him my thanks for
the vast improvement in quality of life for my daughter when she got
her own pump a few short months later. You know the rest of the

Should your friend in construction get a pump??? By all means. He
will be safer, have a better quality of life, and improve his health
in one fell swoop.