[IP] newly dxd. how soon to pump?

I was diagnosed in August of 2001.  I am also a mega-technology geek.  My
first endo, too, wanted to make me wait until the honeymoon period was over
before starting me on a pump.  It's a good thing my company changed
insurance companies (which forced me to change endos) because I am still
honeymooning and might not be on the pump with my 5.3 A1C today.  My second
endo said there was no reason NOT to go on the pump right away, and in fact,
the pump would make it easier to get through the honeymoon period when my
basal requirements were extremely low.  I started off at 16 units basal, I
am currently at 4 units basal per day.  I ended up starting on the pump in
November of 2001, and couldn't be happier.

One possible issue might be if you have an insurance company who wants a
"history" of A1Cs, BG log books, documented complications from injections
etc. before approving the pump.  Fortunately, mine didn't.