[IP] Re: newly dxd. how soon to pump?

> I have a friend who was dxd T1 last week. How soon
> would you recommend he look into pumping?
> When my daughter was dxd in 99' her dr. wanted her to
> wait till after the "honeymoon".

IMHO - which I highly respect, ;-) I would think the sooner he started
pumping, the better. Some docs say the pt. should get used to shots first
and to know how to give them if he ever needs to fall back on them. HA! You
can get used to anything - even hanging if you hang long enough. But being
dx'd T-1 he is already on shots and knows how to give them. In a pinch, he
could do it again. The sooner he can get to pumping he may be able to
preserve some beta cells and that will help him in the long run.

A lot of this is the luck of the gene pool, but whatever effort he can make
to help, helps. lol

Dialyzing since 7/8/02
picture of the World's Youngest Pumper)

Doctors can be frustrating. You wait a month-and-a-half for an appointment,
and s/he says, I wish you'd come to me sooner.