[IP] newly dxd. how soon to pump? really long

hi sally,
finally! a question i have experience in! lol!
it's never too soon to pump! i am a computer programmer. i was diagnosed
august 1, 2000 when i was 26. when i was in my new endo's office that day they
asked me since i'm a "geek" did i want a pump. of course, i'd never heard of
the thing, but after doing research and finding out it was the best thing to
do, i said yes. i received my minimed 508 that next month (sept) and started
pumping about 5 weeks after diagnosis. (had to wait for insurance paperwork,
that's what took so long). my basals were .2 for 24 hours and i only needed
about 20 units a day tdd.
here's why i think newly diagnosed people should start pumping DURING their
honeymoon phase or ASAP;
- shots are HORRIBLE for people who need very little insulin. syringes don't
measure in tenths of a unit and all i did for those 5 weeks was swing up,
crash, swing up, crash. once i got my pump, i could program a more realistic
basal rate so i could go back to work.
- the shock of such a drastic lifestyle change is "cushioned" a bit (imho)
because the pump does allow for more freedom than the exchange diet or
anything else i tried. being normal for so long, this is going to be really
really hard on him mentally. to now have to watch all this stuff he never had
to pay attention to before (how many times he walks up the steps, what he
snacks on, etc)
- you get to prolong your body's production of insulin. my a1c at diagnosis
was 13.my first 6 month a1c after diagnosis was 6.2. (i'll explain the
downside of this in a bit) i just read an article on insulinfree.org that
they're doing studies on prolonging the honeymoon period and how good that is
and how you can help your pancreas blah blah blah... we'll, here's a part
http://www.insulinfree.org/immunology/ivan.htm and excerpt is at the bottom.

"There are two ways that you might expand the therapy, one is if you could get
in earlier. Getting to people before they're actually clinically diabetic.
There are trials going on that have been quite successful in being able to
predict with some certainty, kids who are going to become diabetic. We hope to
start treating those kids before they become diabetic and preserve 40 percent
of their islets or 50 percent of islets and maybe they would never have to go
on insulin. We can also try to replace the insulin producing cells by
transplant, where we put islets back into people who already have no more of
their own islet function. Then treat them with the drug at the time that we
put new islets in, so that they would hopefully be able to maintain their own
blood sugar without needing shots of insulin.

If the beta cells are still somewhat functioning after you're diagnosed, you
said there's a six-week time period. What does it mean for the patients who
are receiving it?

Dr. Bluestone: As I said, you're constantly destroying your cells, so it's
just a question of when you're going in. Some people get diagnosed very early
on, others get diagnosed later on. The earlier you can get in, the better off
you're going to be. If we could do it five months earlier, we might be able to
preserve a few more percent of the islet cells. If we can go two years earlier
that would be even better. There is a question of whether it pays off at all,
once you're already diabetic, to go in and preserve, even the 5 percent or 10
percent of the islets you have left -- we believe it is. The reason is there
has been a good amount of clinical data that shows if you can preserve even a
little bit of your own insulin producing capability rather than having to take
shots for every bit of your insulin it actually has a long-term impact on your
ability to control your blood sugar and the complications that you get from
the disease. It's why the pump, which a lot of people use now to deliver
insulin, has been so much more successful than taking shots. Even a little bit
of insulin given every minute is going to be better than five shots a day,
where your level of insulin goes way up and way down. What we hope is that
this drug by preserving even if it's 5 percent or 10 percent of the insulin
producing cells, will give you at least a baseline of your own insulin
production. It will help you in controlling your blood sugar, even though it
doesn't get you off of insulin, it's not a cure. "

ok,here's some downsides;

- your insulin needs change ALOT!!! it's been 2 1/2 years for me and i think
every other month i'm retesting basals and carb bolus. if you let it get away
from you, you'll end up with high a1c's (like me).
- sometimes it's harder to fix highs and stuff because you can't tell if you
just can't count carbs right or if the ratios are off. it can be really