[IP] Re: lows and heart attack & stroke risk

 Is it really true that lows increase the risk of heart attack and stroke? Is it
really true that lows increase the risk of heart attack and stroke?

 I don't think that its that having them frequently increases chances of heart
attack or stroke, but the incident of the low itself that causes it. As we all
know, when we're low our bodies release hormones such as glucagon and
epinephrine, which help to raise our blood sugar (although eventully this
response may go away, I suspect that there are many people espescially Type IIs
and those diagnosed as adults who still have it for some time). Epinephrine
release is stimulated by the sympathetic nervous system and it is a stimulant, a
"fight or flight" hormone. It can cause an increase in blood presure and heart
rate.

 I know this first hand, because I had a low 10-15 minutes before my last Dr.
appointment. My DOCTOR almost had a heart attack. My blood pressure was 140/78
and my pulse was 90 --- 6 months before my BP had been 103/62 and my pulse was
54 ... evidently being low does have an effect (at least for me ... and I've
been D. for 10 years, always w/an A1C below 7 and plenty of lows, so I'd think
that I'd have no adrenaline response)

Marianne