Subject: [IP] RE: unexpected highs/rapid drops

email @ redacted writes:
>  >... my perfect control sees 300 way too often:-),
> I bolus 5 U, and in 3 h I'm around 100, so that's within your
> guidelines.  If i tried to drop faster (which I could do with a
> bigger bolus) i'd end up hypoglycemic.  However, with a IV bolus, one
> could drop the 200 in just 10 -20 min.  But that's not done out of a
> hospital setting.

Let's hope not!  Your endocrine system wouldn't appreciate a fast drop and
your cardiovascular system would get a big surge of adrenaline (if you not
hypounaware), your glycogen stores would also get depleted, and the next low
BG following the rebound would be a much lower BG, consequently more
difficult to elevate.

>     >Well not having access to a library doesn't stop most of us
> from thinking out loud ;-).  But anyone can access pubmed, even from
> home.  <

Not always easy to do, sometimes. I'd be looking for a specific reference,
for which I cannot remember the author or title.

>You're younger than me, so i'm assuming you're a pro on line...>
> ;-)  - -wayne

Ha, ha! I doubt I am younger, Wayne, but I'll take the compliment, anytime.

(more than 20 years in diabetes education)