RE: [IP] Is there anyone else like this?

email @ redacted wrote:
<<<In order for me to function, I have to be low, 48 is
ideal for me! If I soar and hit 160...I fall apart. I get sick to my stomach,
I get thirsty, and I get so tired!>>>
 --Are you sure that you have to be in the upper 40s "to function"? How do you
feel in the upper 60s and 70s? I mean the difference between 48 you mention "to
function" and 160 where "you fall apart" are pretty far apart on the spectrum! I
try to stay in the 70s where I feel the best, but 80s and 90s and very low 100s
are fine for me also. I DO feel crappy at 160 though, as you do. My A1cs the
past 8+ months have all been in the 5s.
 I've gotten to know this element of "pushing the boundary of lows" pretty well
since I'm 24 weeks pregnant and had been preparing myself for pregnancy, as far
as tight control, for over a year. All that I read suggests D. women trying to
get pregnant should aim for upper 60s-90 and not above 120 one hour after meals.
 So, my endo and I have watched me very closely and he was concerned about me
wanting to stay that low BECAUSE! the lower you stay you become accustomed to
that low number and obviously feel gross when you go higher, say up into the mid
to higher 100s. You also can begin NOT TO FEEL lows when they occur which is
dangerous. 48 is low for me and it seems like would be for anyone. It seems like
your body is just getting use to that low number which is directly correlated to
the fact that you say you don't feel low at 32. THAT IS DANGEROUS! The example
he gave me was, what if you are on the highway and you are dropping from 68 down
to 50 or lower (in your case that might be dropping from 48 to 30 or lower!
JEEZ!) and a semi or truck cuts you off. Your reaction time and brain function
will be hampered b/c you don't have enough glucose feeding your brain so that
you can react appropriately which will more than likely result in a wreck--WHICH
IS NOT GOOD OR HEALTHY to say the least.

email @ redacted also wrote:
 <<<Am I incorrect to believe that every diabetic does not and can not follow
the standards laid out in medical books,
and that we are all completely different?>>>
 -- I agree with this to a point and it seems like you are stretching the point
a bit. Of course I'm not a doctor or nurse just a 28 yr old whose been D for
24.5 years. But it just sounds a little dangerous to continue on this course.
I'd be interested to know how you feel in the 70-90 range! To me those are ideal
numbers! I KNOW YMMV:-)
How long have you been staying this low and feeling good?
 I don't mean to come off sounding bossy or anything, your message just shocked
me and I wanted to give my 2 cents:-)
--janet (Dx @ age 3, 8/78; pumping H-tron since 6/00; 24 weeks pregnant:-)