Re: [IP] Unexpected Highs/Rapid Drops

At 09:39 PM 3/31/03 -0700, you wrote:
 >I'm going to post this one more time, in a different way because this is just
 >driving me nuts!  I keep ending up with 300's showing up on my meters.
 >So, I check my BG and it says 300 or more, and I don't feel like it is that
 >high, but I go ahead and take a correction bolus. Usually this happens
 >pre-mealtime, so I add up the food, eat and then check again.  Usually the
 >darn thing has dropped between 100 and 150 points in less than an hour (quite
 >often a half hour.) What could be causing this?  Anyone have any

I have had this happen on occasion as well.  For me, it is entirely
unpredictable, and as such, alarming.  My best guess is that the basal
insulin has not been absorbed for some time.  Instead, it forms a pool
under the skin (people who have used NPH should be familiar with this
'depot' idea).  My blood sugar rises as a result of the unabsorbed insulin.

Then I give a bolus for the high.  Suddenly--as far as I can tell--my body
decides to absorb both the insulin in the pool plus the correction bolus I
gave.  That equals exactly twice the insulin necessary to bring me to my
target. My blood sugar quickly plummets and keeps on plummeting for some time.

I wish I could tell you how to handle this, but I'm still at a loss myself.