[IP] new cosmo/testing in school

Tangi wrote:

"I talked to Kali's school nurse about testing in her classroom while
we are
adjusting to the pump.  and she acted like it was no big deal for her
to go
to the clinic 5 or 6 times during the day just to test her bs."

What state do you live in?  In North Carolina, it is the law that
diabetic children are permitted to test their blood sugar, and treat
their lows, anytime and anywhere on school property.  It's a relatively
new law.  I'm not sure what the laws are in other states, but I'm
hoping the NC law could become a model.

Now, I'll guess that Kali's school thinks that they are protecting her
by forcing her to go to the nurse's office - if their mindset is that
children can't be trusted to take care of themselves, and that for
Kali's own protection she needs a trained medical professional to
interpret and act on her blood sugar measurements.   For some children,
this paternalism may be appropriate; I take it that you are confident
that Kali doesn't need this.   If you don't have a North Carolina-like
law, the best bet may be to show the school nurse/principal that Kali
is mature and responsible enough to take care of herself.  Surely the
nurse has other things to do anyway than checking her blood sugar six
times a day!

  - Maria
pumpmama to Sigrid AS OF TODAY!