Re: [IP] switch from regular to novolog

> I've had my pump for a year now as a part of a study to compare MDI
> with pump therapy. I've used actrapid/regular for a year but am
> allowed to switch to novolog now. Which experiences do you have with
> the switch, does it take some time to adjust or is it more simple
> than starting on the pump at first? Do basal rates and insulin/carb
> rations need correction? I'm asking because I'll probably have to
> make the switch during my exam period, which will be rather hectic
> in some ways and not at least ordinary, and shortly after I will be
> going to the US for 3 weeks (I'm from Denmark) - so if I wait after
> the trip, I'll have to delay the switch-over for 2-3 months!
> Anja

Hi Anja,

When my daughter switched from regular to Humalog, all we had to do
was make the basal rate change one hour later because of the
difference in onset time for the insulin.
i.e. if a rate changed at 4:00 for regular, it we changed it to 5:00
for Humalog. A year or so ago she switched to Novolog and there was
no change in basal timing, the appear to be very much the same in
that regard.

There were some small adjustments in basal rates that were needed
after the change, but nothing major.