[IP] Surgery w/ and w/o Glucowatch

Just wanted to post my experience this year regarding minor surgical

In August, I had a minor abdominal procedure.  My BG was 110 going in, and
400 coming out.  Despite lots of preparation and two meetings with the
anasthesiologist, he panicked while I was under and my blood sugar went to
90, disregarded all orders, disconnected my pump, and (according to the
nurse) "filled me full of glucose"  Since they didn't keep the correct
records of how much glucose they gave me and when, I had no idea of what I
was bolusing for.  Needless to say, felt like crap for two days with
blinding headaches and double vision (yes, I did file a written complaint
with his practice group, and also told my endo, who told all the endos in
her group to avoid this guy like the plague).

Last Friday, I had knee surgery.  I decided to wear my Glucowatch this time.
  I wrote out instructions for operating both the pump and the watch and
included my ratios and correction factor, reviewed them with the nurse and
the surgeons, and gave copies to my boyfriend in the waiting room.  I
lowered my basals just a bit for the 4 hours before the surgery so I would
be a bit higher going in.  Went in at 147, came out at 167, and didn't
receive any glucose during the surgery.  At all times, the Glucowatch
reading was within 20 points of my finger stick reading.  The only other
recommendations I can make is to make sure you wear the watch well away from
where you think the IV site is going to be , and warn the folks about the
potential for alarming.