Re: [IP] meter accuracy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Handsfield, James H. (PHPPO)" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 7:13 AM
Subject: RE: [IP] meter accuracy
> Maribel [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:
> >  Has anybody tested their meter accuracy?. I'm just wondering
> > which meter is
> > best.
> Under the Clinical Laboratories Improvement Amendments of 1988 (CLIA '88),
> all home test meters must meet the same minimum accuracy and precision
> requirements.  Their tests must be within 5% of a laboratory standard 50%
> the time.  That may be approximated as +/- 20%.
> Choose your meter based on the other features you like (or dislike).
While i don't disagree with you, i learned in my pump group meeting that it
is less important to be accurate than to be consistent.  For instance, my
precision meter is my primary meter.  My accu-check meter rarely wavers from
the precision by more than 5%, however my prestige (a.k.a cheapo bedside
meter) is often different by 50-100 mg/dl.  And it's different "Low".  I
have it set to plasma which is the best it will do compared to the two other

This would mean that my bedtime readings, if i wasn't backing them up, would
be consistently lower than my daily's and would give me a false idea about
my bedtime and overnite readings if i didn't know it was inconsistent.

Now, if you don't have five different meters, this isn't a problem.  Follow
James' advice.  But the methodology i'm using works for me, i just have to
be aware of the consistency issues. (and i have to standardize, eventually)

That's what they tell me.  YMMV
email @ redacted
"Faery Tales disturbed me. The princes always blindly charged and left me
confused. And I feel like I'm the one who'll face the dragon..."
Uncle Bonsai - One in a Million