>Is the book PUMPING INSULIN useful for someone considering the pump, or is
>it really intended as a user-guide for actual users?

Both.  I got it before I went on the pump and learned a lot about pumping.
There are entire chapters dedicated to helping you figure out if a pump is
for you.  It also goes into detail about the various lingo of pumping and
what it all means.  Since getting my pump I have ordered the newer 3rd
edition which covered humalog, and use it as a reference.  The book will
give you a realistic view of the pump and the work that goes into making it
make your life better.  Or at least in my case it did.

-- Sherry