[IP] Re: Your City Policies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(BTW, this is my first post to the group, so -- hi everyone!)

About the pump incident -- without having been there and seen what
happened, it's hard to know what to think.

First of all, I do agree that the AP should have been better informed
about medical devices carried by the students.  If there are student(s)
at the school wearing insulin pumps, the AP should -- and a bare minimum
-- be aware of this fact and know what an insulin pump looks like.  (I
don't think that's asking too much.  A pump may look a little bit like a
pager at first glance, but how many pagers have tubing attached to
them?)  Simply being familiar with the brand names would be sufficient,
actually -- that way, if the AP spotted a  "beeper" with the word
"MiniMed" (or Disetronic or whatever) written across the front, she'd
know what it was.

Okay, so obviously this AP either didn't know about insulin pumps or
just totally forgot.  Unfortunate, but I don't know that she should
necessarily have been disciplined just for that. That could possibly be
chalked up to being human and having a lot on her mind that day.  What I
have a hard time imagining, however, is how this misunderstanding wasn't
resolved in a matter of seconds.  You'd think the sentence:  "It's not a
beeper, it's an insulin pump" should have ended the whole thing. If the
AP was so bent on confiscating the "offending device" that she couldn't
even stop long enough to find out what it was, then yes, she should be
disciplined.  ESPECIALLY if she yanked on the tubing!  (Although you
could argue that if she didn't know it was a pump, she wouldn't have
known the tubing was attached to the student.  It then goes back to
whether she had a responsiblity to find out what the device was before
grabbing it.  I think she did.)

I suppose it's possible that the 13-year-old flew into a rage and pulled
off the pump the minute she was confronted about the "beeper", but it
doesn't seem very likely. I know 13-year-olds can be emotional, but any
teen who would do something like that IMO wouldn't be mature enough to
handle a pump in the first place.

Regardless of the details of the incident, my  heart goes out to the
student.  I'm 26 (type 1 since age 21), and I know I can be sensitive
about my diabetes and hate calling attention to it.  I'll always be
grateful that I didn't have it as a teenager!  Teens with diabetes have
enough to deal with (physically and emotionally) without being singled
out, confronted, and harrassed in front of their friends by adults whose
job it is to know better. I can imagine how upset I would have been if
something like that had happened to me at that age. If nothing else, I
hope the school uses the incident to better educate its staff about the
needs of diabetic students (and students with other medical conditions)
-- and for that matter, to review its policies on how all students are
treated when they're suspected of breaking a rule.  I think it needs to
be policy to let the student give an explanation BEFORE items are
confiscated, or disciplinary action is taken, or whatever.