Re: [IP] He said/She said (was: Your City Policies!)

In a message dated 4/29/02 6:29:11 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> As for the parents; What needs to be said that I havn't already?  Notifying
> the school of your child's needs is a good thing, they did such, no problem
> there.

it is so very tiring after a year long battle to get safe care for my
daughter and the battles that I know so many parents have to face to get safe
care........I speak for every diabetic child I know or have know when I say
they are some of the bravest, most responsible people on earth....my daughter
was diagnosed shortly after her fourth birthday, started doing her own finger
sticks on leaving the hospital, she has nearly died from this disease more
than once, has been kicked out of day care and found wandering around her
school on more than one occasion with a blood sugar in the 30's....the adults
at that school blamed her......sadly mine is not a solitary story...there are
parents fighting for basic rights for these children already dealing with, at
best, life altering disease.......I find it sad that an adult with a similar
condition would assume that the child should bear some of the burden in this
case without doing any research...as I said, her parents are very vocal
advocates who had done more than *tell* the school about her...they had a
written 504 protecting her.......I also know several young teenage diabetics
and although they do have teen moods they do not allow it to affect their
self care of their diabetes to the extent of taking their pumps off without a
reason......I have faith in these kids.....you are welcome to your opinion, I
find it sad...