[IP] Re: Long time pumpers

Deirdre wrote:

hi Linda and all,
I was just wondering how pumping when it was new came
about for you all.
you ask your endo about it or did your endo say, hey
this is new, you want
give it a try? Also what was the state of home glucose
monitoring in 1980,
and how did you manage to set basals etc. if it was
not very accurate? I
admire all of you for being on the cutting edge!
Hi Deirdre:

My endo worked on me for about 8 months before I
finally agreed to try the pump.  I was plunked into
the hospital for nearly a week, the pump was ordered
and delivered through "Central Supply" in order to get
my insurance company to pay for it.  Like Jan Hughey,
I didn't use a glucometer but relied on my visual
acuity to come close in my bg measurements.

Of course, 4-5 weeks after getting hooked up, I had to
ask my doctor if the pump was a fertility device,
because I had gotten pregnant within a week of
beginning pump therapy.  My a1c's were running about
14 when I started pumping; 4.5 months after starting
the pump my a1c was down to 5.8, thanks to my being
serious about getting healthy and carrying the baby.
Only had one serious hypo while I was pregnant, and my
kiddo was (and is!) incredibly healthy.  It was during
my pregnancy while I was part of a special study with
T1 moms-to-be that I got my first glucometer.  They
cost about $350 dollars in those days, and the
procedure was quite cumbersome.

Like Jan, I started with straight-needle infusions,
with the butterfly tape-down around the needle and the
safety loop so I couldn't pull it out.  My first pump
was the HUGE checkbook-sized one that you can see on
Jan's website; I had that one for a couple of years
until I upgraded to the CPI/Lilly unit that was
significantly smaller.  I currently wear a MM 508,
which is the 5th one I've had during my 20 years of
pumping.  My insurance never balks at paying for the
pump, because realistically, upgrading the pump and
paying for my supplies is not nearly as expensive as 3-
4 trips per year to the hospital would be.  I have not
been in the hospital (except for outpatient surgery)
since I gave birth to my daughter nearly 19 years ago.

I don't know that I would say I felt I was really on
the cutting edge of anything, but having tried to take
a few pump "breaks" over the years, I can honestly say
that giving up my pump is NOT an option (until the
cure).  JMO, FWIW.  I'm just grateful I've had a
forward-thinking endo who wanted nothing but the very
best for me over the years.  I'm gonna weep mighty
hard when he decides to retire.  Sorry for the long
post everyone!
Kathy Fagan
Dx 10/68, Pumping 12/17/82