[IP] medical devices: childrens' rights at school

"Boca Raton pump fiasco incident was finally "resolved" .....<A
News Local</A>....this excerpt about sums it up: An assistant principal
confronted an eighth-grader about a medical device because she thought it
a pager will not face discipline from the school district. A district
investigation concluded there is no reason to reprimand Nereyda
Astiasaran-Perez, an assistant principal at Eagles Landing Middle School
of Boca Raton, district spokesman Nat Harrington said. Jeff Wagner, Nikki
Wagner's father, said Tuesday he was "shocked" by
the district's findings."

I haven't followed that particular Florida story, but in our town
(Madison, AL) about 2 yrs. ago a 14-yr old T1 boy had similar incident in
the wake of "Columbine H.S." and the resultant 'policing' of backpacks,
equipment, etc. when one routine morning at the entryway a school
official nearly ripped the boy's insulin pump off his body. The parents
sued (for no personal financial gain--$$ all goes to diabetic causes &
public awareness). The story was highly publicized, and the rest of us
around the state have been told by numerous professionals who are in the
know advocating diabetic's rights--that our area now 'leads' the state in
this sort of progress and how the awareness has made it much better for
children in many schools!!!! These parents (and/or attorneys) should talk
to each other and discover how to better share information. Who serves on
'district investigations' anyway? Further action ought to make this a
very hot topic and a much publicized one. Doesn't ADA advocate for such
incidents? Please keep the heat on so others [especially defenseless and
already at-risk children dealing with enough psychological trauma on a
daily basis] need not suffer such egregious practices.
Carol--Mom to Leslie pumping at age 6.