Re: [IP] The pump is better than MDI....

On 26 Apr 2002 at 7:35, email @ redacted wrote:

> George,
> I'm really confused.  Maybe my questions weren't clear, but it seems they
> were ignored.
> At 10:38 PM 04/25/2002 , George wrote:
> >On 25 Apr 2002 at 14:51, email @ redacted wrote:
> > > Over time I have heard many people make the statement the pump is better
> > > than MDI.   I am interested in hearing how much time was spent learning and
> > > adjusting the pump.....
> But how much time did you put into learning and adjusting?
> >After 9 months I had lowered my A1c to 6.0 without having severe reactions.
> Did you spend anywhere near the same amount of time "experimenting" with
> the adjustment of your MDI regimen?
> >After 34 years, the last 18 of them on MDI,  I had lowered my A1c to 7.0
> >and was having severe reactions weekly.
> >
> >I'll continue pumping AT LEAST until I have an equivalent amount of time
> >on the pump as I spent on MDI before I consider changing
> >back    (NOT)       ;>)
> >
> >George   YMMV
> Time doing it has nothing to do with time spent "learning and adjusting".......
> Can you talk about the effort spent on both to attempt to make "it work"?

I do know that my last few years on MDI were certainly as intense in time and concentration as my time on the pump has been, perhaps even more.  And I did not have
near the results with MDI, nor have I had near the problems with the pump as I had with MDI.  There is much less to "experiment" with in MDI.  You can change your site or
depth of injection and you can change your timing or mix (or not mixed) combo shots.  But you can never achieve the control that pumping will afford you.  I did do as many
tests and corrections as I presently do with pumping, but the only "corrections" in basals were achieved by change in eating times and nothing else would help.  Pumping
has made me a successful diabetic, a hopefully long term survivor.  I wish the best for everyone else!