Re: RE: [IP] new doctor and first visit - what do you make of it?

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 13:32:58 -0500 Jayne Drowns <email @ redacted> wrote:

I'm sorry, Jim, one more question:  Does that mean that if one showed
elevated protein on a 24 hour collection, but not so much protein that it
would show up in the regular screening tests, there would be nothing to do
at that point to stop the progress of the kidney disease, ie, one should
just wait until it shows up on the regular screening before doing anything
about it?

I don't know about this particular set of tests, but most screening tests are calibrated to err on the false positive side (low specificity).  The idea is that *any* protein in the urine should trigger the next step, even if it turns out to be a false positive.

Jim Handsfield