RE: [IP] new doctor and first visit - what do you make of it?

Jayne Drowns [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> Jim, I don't know much about this.  I was once told by an
> endo (years ago)
> that the 24 hour collection test is more sensitive than other
> screening
> tests, so it should be done regularly to pick up the very
> first signs, which
> may be years before they show up on the other tests.  Is that
> wrong?  Thanks
> for any info.

Yes, the 24 hour urine test is more sensitive (and specific) than standard
screening.  But my point is that the 24 hour urine is not a screening test,
but a full diagnostic/prognostic test.  As a rule, there's no need for it
unless something shows up in a screening test such as the simpler tests done
quarterly to yearly.  For those who have known kidney disease or DM related
nephropathy, then the 24 hour urine test is indicated.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR