Re: [IP] Long-distance doctor?

From: <email @ redacted>
The nearest pump docs who take Blue Cross are in Lubbock, about
> 150 miles away. It would be a hassle to drive - the kids would have to
> miss school, etc -- but financially it would be much easier.
> Alternatively, could our local Family Doc handle things with Minimed?
> Anyone have any experience?
> Suzie
We live in Virginia and take our son to an endocrinologist in Pennsylvania,
about 300 miles away.  We don't do this for financial reasons, but because
this is how we feel our son will get the best care.  It actually costs us
more, but it works out well for us.  He is seen every three months.  One
trip over winter holiday and one in the summer.  We try to plan the other
two appointments for teacher planning days, so he doesn't miss school much
if at all.  We have a local pediatrician who works with us and the
endocrinologist when necessary.  I firmly believe you have to go to the
doctor you are most comfortable with, whether that's around the corner or
across the state.