Re: [IP] The pump is better than MDI....

In a message dated 4/25/2002 3:45:20 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

>  I am interested in hearing how much time was spent learning and
>  adjusting the pump.....
>  AND How many spent an equivalent amount of time attempting to adjust MDI.

It's a hard comparison to make because in a sense learning to adjust MDI was
also all wrapped up in learning about diabetes management overall (how
insulins act, what exercise does etc. etc.).

I can say (as a parent of a pumper) that after the initial pump start period
(3-4 weeks), pumping takes less time and is much less stressful to manage.
The long acting insulins never peaked a consistent amount or at a consistent
time and dosing in a syringe is so much less precise.  Dealing with things
like exercise and homone-induced periods of insulin resistance are far easier
and less time consuming to deal with .  .  . And if you add that to better
A1cs, fewere and milder lows, and the ability for my daughter to have a much
more normal day to day life, there is absolutely no question as to pumping
being a far superior to MDI for my daughter (and our entier family).

Pumpmama to Katie (11, email @ redacted) happily pumping with her Animas pump "Elvis"
since 6-1-01