Re: [IP] Set duration??

In a message dated 4/25/2002 3:23:28 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> We were wondering how long your child's (or your) sets will last? We have
> just
>  managed to get Cassidy's ( age 4 1/2) to stay in for 3 days.

We change my 11 year old's sets every three days (on advice of our doc & CDE)
and on rare occasions have gone 4.  Our CDE said that they don't recommend
going more than three (especially for little ones who don't have very much
surface area for site rotation) because leaving site in longer increases the
chances of tissue damage over the long run.

I've definitely heard of adult pumpers who routinely go more than three days
but not really of any children who do so regularly.  Personally, I know my
daughter would like to not do changes as often but I just don't want to take
the chance of creating problems in the long run.  I know she rather change
sets every three days than find a couple years down the road that she has to
go off pump for six months or more to give her tissues a break from the
infusion sets .   .   .

Pumpmama to Katie