RE: [IP] The pump is better than MDI....

*Trying* to recall back to learning MDI, I'd have to say that it took me
longer to get used to the *IDEA* of shoving something into my own body, but
to be fair, when I was getting used to that aspect of the pump, I was
already quite comfortable with the concept.

As for the mechanics of getting insulin into my body, I'd say that MDI was
simpler to learn.  Again however, there is the difference between diagnosis
(which included a week long hospital stay during which the nurses/doctors
figured out my requirements for me) and switching regimes in an outpatient
setting (Finding the right basal pattern was a chore because of fasting
periods and the very frequent testing schedule), I also was working full
time when learning the pump as opposed to merely attending high school while
adjusting to MDI.

On an ongoing term, pumping is unarguably simpler.  Basals take care of
themselves, dosing takes a few button pushes as opposed to drawing insulin
into a syringe, measuring against those little lines, finding a spot to
inject, DOING THE INJECTION, disposing of the needle...  (God did I go
through that process 3 to 5 times/day for 8.5 years?)

On the flip side (to be fair to MDI) learning to deal with the tail (tubing)
and learning not to do an aerobic workout in my sleep (my parents called me
"The Windmill") and dealing with showering/swimming took some getting used
to.  But even there, it had become natural within a month or two.

-Sara G.