[IP] Long-distance doctor?

[demime could not interpret encoding binary - treating as plain text]
Hi all -
I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on whether it's practical to see
an endocrinologist in another town? We live in a small West Texas city
(pop. 100,000) but there's only one endo, and he's not on our insurance
plan. We've been seeing him for several years, w/no problems, but with 2
pumpers in the family it's extremely expensive to pay for it out of
pocket! The nearest pump docs who take Blue Cross are in Lubbock, about
150 miles away. It would be a hassle to drive - the kids would have to
miss school, etc -- but financially it would be much easier.
Alternatively, could our local Family Doc handle things with Minimed?
Anyone have any experience?