Re: [IP] When do I sleep? (rambling...)

In a message dated 4/25/2002 6:16:05 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> So if you get a 100 in the middle of the night with the pump you don't have
>  to feed it?  You can actually have pretty good numbers and be comfortable
>  with it?

That's right!  When overnight basal rates are set appropriately for any
individual pumper you can expect to have just a slight rise in BG levels
(10-30 pts) from bedtime to wake up .  .  . My daughter's regular bedtime
target BG is 90-100 and she normally wakes up between 100 and 130.

Now, I do have to say that pumps are not some miracle treatment that gives
you perfect numbers all the time, afterall it still is the diabeastie you're
dealing with here.  So, for example, I still check my daughter once a night
mostly to watch for those insulin-resistant highs that hormones bring on
periodically.  And, you have to regularly experiment with things to account
for the effects of, for example, a new kind of exercise (at least for my
daughter, differnt kinds of physical activity affect her BG levels in varying
degrees and with varying time delays).  But, on the whole, numbers are so
much more stable on the pump and she feels some much better and has so much
more energy now that she's pumping.  And, when things are off, it so much
easier to correct than when she was on shots . . .

Pumpmama to Katie