Re: [IP] Competency Certification for Diabetologists

From: "Rowe, Kelly"
>>>I work in information technology, where you become otiose in a matter of
a few years if you don't continue to study, and learn new technologies as
they emerge.  You prove your competency by taking examinations that test
your knowledge and skills in particular areas.  Would that be too much to
ask of a health care provider?>>>

I do NOT think it's too much to ask - in fact it should be required. Along
with my post of several weeks ago about newbies should not regret not
pumping years ago due to the lack of today's advantages, I'm going to cite
my own pioneer endo's lack. I guess he became otiose in that he did not
learn new techniques as they emerged with pumping.

Twenty years ago when he started a *core* group on pumps, he taught us what
he knew then stagnated. He told me a year or so ago that for the previous 5
yrs he had been going to business school. Say what?! He should have been
going to pump school!!! He had a core group of about 2 dozen back then. A
few months ago - after 18-20 yrs. - his core group grew to about 24 with
some new ones and some of the old ones no longer pumping.

I have learned at least 17 things since I got on the 'net that I didn't know
the previous 15.5 years I was pumping. It is downright disgusting. A few of
the major things:

Carb counting - never heard the words until 6/99!! He said, when I asked why
didn't I know: Stick to the exchange system, it's easier. What a copout!

Basal Fasting: I had my basal set 18.5 years ago and that was to be for

The 0.5u prime when removing the SofSet introducer needle goes inside my

Test 6-8x a day instead of the 4 recommended, then cut back and do it

There are ways to strive to have a decent A1c - with the tools and
assistance of the endo.

I can skip meals as long as the basal(s) are set correctly and there is no
problem. I had a BIG problem when I had a vitrectomy due to the stress of
not being able to eat since surgery wasn't until 4:00 p.m. He told me to go
ahead and have breakfast anyway. 4/97

This endo was released and his office closed 10/12/01 by the Physician's
Network. He's trying to rebuild his practice. I'm not the only one not
returning. YMMV (~_^)

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right
place, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.