[IP] Competency Certification for Diabetologists

With so many of us on the list expressing dissatisfaction, disbelief,
horror, and everything else about statements being made by endocrinologists
treating us for diabetes, I wonder if there is any kind of competency
certification for this specialty.  It seems that for many doctors, knowledge
of new treatment practices ends with the date on their medical diploma.  Is
there any continuing education available for physicians to keep them
informed of current practices?  Is there an organization to which
diabetologists can belong that would ensure that we are getting the most up
to date medical treatment?

I work in information technology, where you become otiose in a matter of a
few years if you don't continue to study, and learn new technologies as they
emerge.  You prove your competency by taking examinations that test your
knowledge and skills in particular areas.  Would that be too much to ask of
a health care provider?