[IP] Re: Adults w/DM Retreats

Hello happy campers,

As a type 1'er (some might say type A :) for 34 of my
36 years, and also someone who had the benefit of a
diabetic kids camp for 7(?) yrs, I just have to say
that I LOVE the idea of a retreat for diabetic adults.
I've also been on a MMParadigm (my FIRST pump) for all
of 5 days now, and HUGELY appreciate the exchange of
info on this site.

For the retreat, two thoughts come to mind:

A) My experience has been that most area camps (i.e.,
Girl or Boy scout, campfire boys/girls, YM/WCA, church
camps, etc.) are more than willing to have a group
rent their CG for weekends that the area is not
previously scheduled. Other groups that I belong to
have never had a problem acquiring a campground at a
private facility, as long as we made arrangements far
enough in advance (generally by early-spring for a
summer or fall retreat). We have held these retreats
during the fall, spring, winter, AND summer. Granted,
summer slots are much harder to come by, but then
again I'm diabetic all year and will take any excuse
to get away from everything else for a few days :-P
BTW, these retreats have ALWAYS been at a reasonable

B) I also like the idea of applying for grants, if
that should be necessary. If so, then consider
recruiting help from: your local ADA office, community
college, or the extension office of your state

Best of luck, and let me know if I can help/attend
(from Buffalo,NY).

Craig Clark

Gale's Creek Diabetic Children's Camp (camper,
'74-'81, and food service manager, '95)

Visualize whirled peas

Craig A. Clark
32 Eastwood Pl.