re: [IP] Almost insulin independent

<<From: Ken Bernstein <email @ redacted>
I have been insulin dependent for the last 48 years and on March 15, 2002 I
was transplanted with 500,000 insulin producing islets from a cadaver donor
at the Diabetes Research Institute in Miami.

I am producing approximately 40% of my insulin needs and my average  blood
sugars since the transplant have been as follows: 7 day 125,  14 day 124 and
30 day 138.  The islets are getting stronger with time. My pre-transplant
averages were approximately 150.

I am currently on a pager waiting for the second transplant which should
allow me to be insulin independent for the first time in 48 years.  I am now
at the top of the list and should be called in the next month or so.

On Thursday April 25th at 9pm Eastern time I will be the guest  of the
Diabetes Station at http://www.diabetesstation.com/.  This is a world wide
chat where I hope to answer as many questions about the transplant and the
drug therapy.

I hope someday this research will help pave the way for a cure for all of us
who suffer from type 1 diabetes.>>

Wow Ken!  That's great news.  Thanks for the update - it gives me
a lot of hope for my son!
We hope the next islet transplant goes well.
Bless you,

Do You Yahoo!?