[IP] carb counting & fiber

I have just recently started carb counting (3 days ago), and am trying to
determine insulin:carb ratios in preparation for the pump.  My nutritionist
told me that I needed to subtract the grams of fiber from the total
carbohydrate grams when counting.  After the appointment, I went out and
bought a book with carb counts and fiber information, and have been doing it
that way for the last 3 days.  My question is, does everyone do this?  In my
last 2 months on this site, I have never heard mention of fiber, and it just
makes me curious.  I also wonder if it is contributing to how much insulin
it looks like I will be requiring for the time being, 1:6, but I also
attribute that to my lack of a regular exercise routine.
Maybe this is just a YMMV thing, but it seems like counting would be a lot
easier without having to subtract the fiber, especially for things without
nutrition labels like fruits and vegetables.
Thanks in advance!
T1 for 16 yrs, DX '86, using Lantus and Novolog currently, hoping to be
pumping soon!