Re: [IP] sleepovers

In a message dated 4/21/2002 7:54:19 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> How do you handle sleepovers for your diabetic child on the pump.  With NPH,
>  we checked at midnight and if she was ok, we felt comfortable the rest of
> the
>  night, if low she came home.
>  Do I adjust basals or do I have her check every couple of hours while she
>  awake and adjust accordingly?

We have a separate basal profile set up just for sleepovers that reduces her
late evening and overnight basals by about 10-15% (we started with -20% but
that was to much).  This usually means that she wakes up a bit higher than
she would at home (30-50 pts) but it lets me rest easier . . . She always
checks around 11 pm and calls me on her cell so I know she's at least 100
before she goes to "sleep" (theoretically speaking anyway -- LOL).

Pumpmama to Katie (11, dx @9) happily pumping with her Animas pump "Elvis"
since 6-1-01