Re: [IP] Difference between Type 1A and 1B

In a message dated 4/23/02 10:04:58 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< "I suppose there are type IIs who've burned out their beta cells - which
 would be basically the same as a type I w/ no antibodies."
 This happens?  What can cause you to burn out your beta cells?  I know
 chronic abuse of drugs and alcohol can cause a patient to present with DKA.
 Is that a permanent situation? >>

Type 2 is a progressive disease. One part of type 2 is beta cell dysfuntion,
so beta cells crap out over time. It's the normal progression.

Jan and Elvis