RE: [IP] kids with diabetes a psychiatric opinion

I was dxed at 19 when I was in college.  I went through denial on several occasions.  At first I was told diet would control me.  9 mos. later I was on oral meds and seeing an endo.  10 mos later I was put on insulin...I was in denial before each med. change.  Finally, I went through 2 yrs of denial/ignoring at 32-33 yrs of age.
I have now gotten my life together...I am 35...and am pumping and taking care of myself.  I behaved while preg. 3 times.
What I am saying is....try to get her help before she represses like I did.  My denial didn't surface until I had many other issues going on in my life(anorexia/divorce).  I wonder now how much of these other issues were a result of the repression about the D.  My mother and father have never actively participated in my D (I was nearly grown by the time I was dxed).

A colleague has an 18 yr old who is in denial and has been in and out of the hospital in DKA in the last few months.  Maybe if you can get her help now, she can avoid these other pitfalls.