RE: [IP] Difference between Type 1A and 1B

>"I suppose there are type IIs who've burned out their beta cells - which
>would be basically the same as a type I w/ no antibodies."
>
>This happens?  What can cause you to burn out your beta cells?  I know
>chronic abuse of drugs and alcohol can cause a patient to present with DKA.
>Is that a permanent situation?

Kelly,
I'm not expert on this, but my impression is that if you're type II and your
beta cells are over-producing insulin, that can lead to beta cell burn out -
and the cells eventually stop producing any insulin.  There are some docs (I
believe Bernstein is one) who think that a person with type II should take
steps to keep this from happening, such as treat the insulin resistance so
their beta cells don't have to work so hard.
Jayne.