Re: [IP] Difference between Type 1A and 1B

> >Does anyone on this list know the difference between and Type 1A Diabetic
> >and
> >a Type 1B Diabetic?
> The last time I went to the endo (few weeks ago), he told me that
> one is type 1s who've tested positive for the antibodies and the
> other is type 1s who haven't been tested for the antibodies.  I was
> left wondering, of course, are there any type 1s who have tested
> negative?

It is possible. Immunity wears out. If someone has had T1 diabetes
long enough and all beta cells have long been destroyed, the immune
system has nothing to do and will no longer remain vigilant since it
is inactive (no beta cells to kill). This is why it is thought that
INGAP may work well for long time diabetics if they can figure out
how to suppress the "urge to kill" the newly created beta cells. The
immune system would have to re-activate and suppressing the trigger
would do the trick we need to have a real cure.