[IP] Re: counseling for 16 year old

>I was wondering how many have at one time or another gone for
>counseling.  My 16 year old daugher just doesn't seem happy lately.
>She takes really good care of herself, but doesn't like to talk
>about her diabetes at all.  I just feel like she is carrying this
>huge load on her shoulders and won't share it with me or her dad.
>What do you think am I being a worry wart mother or is it a good
>idea to go to counseling at some point.  She has had diabetes for 6
>six years and I think she is getting sick of it.

Do you have any indications that here control is adequate?  Like
reecent A1C's?  If so, she's doing something right but may have other
issues Dm or non-Dm related that some neutral thrid party could help

In any case, DBO (diabetes burn out) hits most of use now and then.
I am a believer in at least occasional counselling for kids with
diabetes.  If you go this route try to get someone who specializes in
dealing with people wiht chronic disorders.  (Many coucellors think
Dm is just a matter of taking a pill once a day anf following a
diet).  Dm is a bigger part of life to us than most single aspects of
life are to any healthy person.

My 2 cents

Darrin Parker
Ontario, Canada

I have used the insulin infusion pump for over a year thanks to the
support of wonderful internet friends & the

The Pump gave me better control than I had achieved in 27 years of
MDI!  Best pre-pump HeA1c = 9.2.  1st & 2nd post-pump HeA1c = 5.1 &