Re: [IP] insurance in california

In a message dated 4/19/2002 9:16:15 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

>  Blue Cross Blue
>  Shield of California, covers no "prescription and non-prescription
>  supplies."  HOW CAN THAT BE???

We have coverage with Blue Shield of California (a PPO plan thru my DH's
employer) and all prescribed diabetes supplies (insulin, syringes, glucagon,
test strips, etc.) for my daughter are covered (with appropriate co-pays).
They also cover her pump and pump supplies @ 90% . . . Now I know that the
coverages can vary by co-pay amount/% but in the state of California,
insurance companies are required by law ot cover diabetes supplies . . . In
our plan booklet, the fact that diabetes supplies (and pumps & pump supplies)
are covered is explicitly listed in the MEDICAL PLAN portion of the benefits
booklet -- I'm told that technically they are not covered *under the
PRESCRIPTION coverage* (even though we pay the same co-pays for them as for
other non-d-related prescriptions).  So you may want to review the medical
coverage section of your booklet to see if that's where they tell about
covering diabetes supplies etc.

Pumpmama to Katie