RE: [IP] Ketone Question

I am not sure what you meant by "the same effect," but I wanted to make sure
that anyone out there who is considering an Atkins-type diet (although I
would advise anyone in such a position to check out Dr. Bernstein at
http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com) knows that ketosis and ketoacidosis
are not the same thing at all.  Eating a very low amount of carbs will put
you into ketosis, but that's fine.  In fact, you cannot lose even a pound
without being in ketosis - it is the state of losing fat and it is normal
and healthy.  If you're diabetic and you're dehydrated and your body has no
insulin to run on (and usually you are throwing up and/or having diarrhea)
AND YOUR BLOOD SUGAR IS HIGH (never happens when not high), then you are at
high risk of ketoacidosis.  It is dangerous and it's a very different thing
than ketosis.

For almost the first eight years that I had type I, I found it nearly
impossible to control my blood sugars - my lowest A1Cs were 14, and they
were often higher, even though I was doing several shots a day and testing a
minimum of six times a day.  Then I stopped eating carbs because I thought,
I have to take one of the variables out of this equation.  I went down to 30
g of carbohydrate a day, went into ketosis (stayed there for a year), and my
next several A1Cs were right around 6.5.  I have since figured out that I
had another disease the whole time that was probably the reason that my
blood sugars were so difficult to deal with.  Now that I'm being treated for
that, I can eat carbs, but I did so well on 30 grams a day that I'm never
going back to "normal," though I have added more fruits and veggies and
probably have more like 60 or 70 grams a day now.  I just don't believe that
pasta, bread, rice, potatoes, and cereals are particularly good for anyone,
and certainly not necessary to my diet.

I just wanted to put this out there because I feel like the low carb thing
practically saved my life and I wouldn't want someone to be scared off from
it if they need it...