Re: [IP] Ketone Question

Ketones are caused when cells are not getting enough glucose (which is
delivered through the blood stream and "escorted" into the cells by insulin).
The cells begin to starve and look for fuel elsewhere- they burn fat.  Ketones
are a biproduct of the fat burning.  You can have ketones regardless of whether
or not you are diabetic.  Diabetics get ketones when there is not enough
insulin to help the glucose molecules get into the cells.  You may be getting
some insulin, or none at all.  It takes some time before they will go away
completely.  Usually, if I have high ketones in the am, it takes until the next
day, sometimes 2 days, to be completely clear of them.  You have to put enough
glucose back into the cells for them to stop thinking they are starving.  I
have been in the hospital 3 times in 12 years because of ketoacidosis.  When
you have ketones for a prolonged peroid, your blood chemistry goes haywire
because the cycle of cells getting energy is disrupted and it takes more
intensive treatment to fix everything.  Usually I have been given insulin,
glucose, and potasium in an iv.  I hope this helps.