[IP] Things like testing in public

The comments about a person with a colostomy bag really hit home to me,
because my mother-in-law had a colostomy twenty plus years ago  (unsure
about the exact date; wasn't yet part of the family).  In the twenty years
that I have known her, I have seen her world become smaller and smaller
because of her reluctance to go anywhere with "that thing".  The only time
she has been visit us was for the wedding; she has never even seen our
latest home--or our beautiful lake cabin--or the new winter home we just
bought.  Well, actually, I haven't seen our new winter home yet, either, but
that will change Saturday.  Perhaps that experience shaped my reaction after
my diagnosis.  If I need to test, I do it.  When I still used injections and
needed an injection, I did it.  At one UMD women's hockey game (putting in a
plug here for the only team to ever win a women's NCAA championship--the
tournament has been held for two years and the Dogs have won both), a women
from Sweden and I had a fascinating conversation about difference in
treatment regimens between the US and Sweden.  That conversation would not
have happened if I hadn't been standing in the concourse doing a glucose
check, I'm certain.

To me, here's the bottom line.  I don't stick my glucose meter, strips, or
blood in anyone's face.  Unless they are rare individual who faints at the
sight of blood, there is no intrusion on their comfort--they just don't need
to stare at me and they won't be bothered.  Checking your glucose doesn't
make noise, doesn't force the attention of anyone else present to you unless
they choose for that to occur.  And there are situations where you might
need to check and not be able to leave--on a plane if the seat belt sign is
still on, for instance.

Human beings are naturally xenophobic--anything different makes us
uncomfortable, whether that difference is skin color, ethnicity, variations
in height or weight that are far from the norm, speaking with an accent, or
having diabetes.  But we can't limit the world to only those things that
don't create discomfort or fear in us.